8.25.2011

The Semester Begins...

It's strange to think, for so many years I kept track of time in "semesters." Spring, summer, fall. Winter was just where Christmas break fell between Fall and Spring semesters. I kept time in school years. Now... it feels odd to watch my friends, my family, my co workers and my students return to the classroom. And me? I'm just working. No classes. No parking stickers. No syllabi to read. In many ways, I enjoy it, but in many ways... I miss it. I miss being a student. I was so good at it, and it brought me certain types of nerdy joy... not to mention social time.

To continute my summer of growing up and becoming a real adult... I applied for a job. A real, big kid job that is NOT in retail, does NOT force me to work weekends, and requires business clothing.

And I think I nailed the interview. I'm crossing every single one of my crossable limbs, because Old Navy is not cutting it any more. I'm a college grad, I'm 24. I don't WANT to run around after 17 year olds that don't care anymore. I don't WANT to work on Thanksgiving. I want to be able to visit my family on holidays. I want to be able to move out, on a salary that is actually fair for the amount of work that I do.

Basically, I want to start living like a grown up, because I deserve it.

Grad school is still there. It's not going anywhere. I will still go. Just... not right now.

I'm having too much fun teaching color guard. I will have an amazing time creating a show for winter guard. I don't want to give that up just yet.

Most of you have probably heard me complain about Matt at some point or another. But... we've talked. I've decided that I don't want to be with anyone else right now. Even as other guys tell me they are interested... I can only think "...but you're not Matt. You're not the one I actually want." I can't force myself to feel for anyone else what I feel for him. And, even if our relationship is not the greatest thing in the world, even if I get frustrated sometimes, and he gets distant sometimes... I'm happier being with him than I am being without him, and I'm willing to stick it out and see where it goes. Yes, it sucks that he is in Rolla for school... and I'm... well... here. But I can't change that. I can only go visit.

And so, readers, this is life now. Working. Relationships. I'm ACTUALLY an adult. It's a bit terrifying, so hold off on it as long as you can, ok?

2 comments:

  1. Jeez. You make me feel like I'm behind Kate. Well, I hope you get that job, you deserve it, and it will also mean we can be roomies! And it also means I can start being a grown-up too. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no... don't let me do that! Everyone moves at their own pace. It took me 6 years to figure out my BA, and then even after that, I still deferred grad school. I still wasn't ready. I'm just ready to move on from undergrad, and undergrad and Old Navy go hand in hand. It was my "college job" and now I'm ready for my "out of college job."

    And yes! Definitely roomies. As long as you don't keep me up with your night time activities, Matt and I won't keep you up with ours ^ ^

    ReplyDelete