8.19.2012

Zombies ate my brains... I mean... flags!

I can finally call myself an athlete. Well, sort of.

I finished. I finished a full obstacle course 5K, in 77 minutes. I did NOT come in last. I finished ahead of approximately 1000 people. Who knew?! Look, I even have a medal to prove it:


This race was a testament to the hard work I've been putting in for the past few months. I didn't run the whole thing, but I'm incredibly proud of myself. More than that, I'm proud of myself for not skipping ANY obstacles. I climbed over barriers. I crawled out of mud pits. I climbed a wooden ladder that looked like some form of military training, slid down a water slid, and then pulled myself out of the wooden box at the end of it. I crawled through mud, on my hands and knees. I crawled under an electrified fence and shocked myself. A lot.

But I finished. 

I have never been more dirty in my life, but I had an amazing time. There were people that were more fit than I, and people less so. I felt no pressure to complete the race in 30 minutes. The best time was 22 minutes, by a man who is 50 years old. He was a dedicated trail runner and hiker, and had been a Marine. Of course he was going to get the best time!

My next obstacle in my fitness challenge will be keeping up this momentum. Classes start tomorrow, and I'm worried that I won't have any time to get workouts in. But, I'm going to make every attempt. Webster has a gym on campus. I will find time. I will MAKE time.

I'm looking for more races, so that I can continue my training. I want to walk the Camino de Santiago de Compestela in about two years, and I will need to be in the best shape I can possibly be to make that happen. I would also like to complete a 10K, followed by a half marathon. We'll see. Are these lofty goals? Absolutely. Can I do it? Definitely.



No comments:

Post a Comment